This week at our house we tried another delicious dinner that came straight from the crockpot. Summers are tough because it’s so hot and I really don’t feel like cooking and heating the house up. That’s why I love my crockpot so much. I can throw dinner in that magical contraption and it is ready in hours, and all without heating up the house. Talk about a win-win situation!
Summer is a time for bbq’s and pulled pork sandwiches. And I’ve never found a really good pulled pork recipe until I came across this lovely. The pork gets to cook in Root Beer. I know, right? I love that! Cafe Rio pork cooks in Coke and this recipe cooks in Root Beer. At this rate they’ll be cooking stuff in Mountain Dew. For now I’ll stick with what is safe, but I’m sure someone out there is cooking stuff in Mountain Dew.
The key to cooking pork is low and slow. You don’t want to rush it. You’ll want to allow the pork to cook on low for hours so it will be nice and moist.
Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 1.5 – 2 lb. pork roast
- 1 envelope dried onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
- 1 can root beer
- 2 c. barbecue sauce You’ll be dividing it for the recipe.
- 10 buns
- Place the thawed pork roast on a work space and sprinkle with the dried soup mix. Pat it on there all over the roast. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and place in the crock pot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the can of root beer and half a cup of barbecue sauce. Pour it over the roast.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low heat for 6 1/2 to 7 hours. Remove the roast from the crock pot and shred it with two forks. Then remove all but about a cup of the juice.
- Put the shredded pork in the crock pot with the cup of juice, then add the remaining 1 1/2 c. of barbecue sauce. Stir it into the meat and cook on high for 15 to 20 minutes to get the meat heated up.
recipe adapted from Recipe Girl
And here is another of my favorite pulled pork recipes!
- 14 Days of Valentine’s Day with FREE Printable Tags - January 20, 2023
- The Very Best Appetizers for New Year’s Eve - December 17, 2022
- Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes - September 10, 2021