Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes are so creepy for a Halloween party! Dark chocolate cake combines with marshmallow buttercream for these spooky treats.
So many good things are happening with these cupcakes! I absolutely love Halloween and these cupcakes are just kind of a dream come true. I’ve always been known for having more cutesy desserts, like my Cookie Monster Cupcakes or Forky Cupcakes, and I’m thrilled to finally be on the creepy train.
Oh how I love Halloween. I just love it! It makes me giddy.
My twin sister is the same way.
It might have something to do with the fact that we have October birthdays, but whatever the reason is we’re both obsessed with October and Halloween!
Spider Web Cupcakes Ingredients
I was laughing the whole time I was adding the spider elements to these cupcakes. They’re just so creepy!
I sent my twin a picture of the cupcakes with the spider eggs and she said, “Are those eggs?! AWESOME.”
These cupcakes are kind of a mind game! You have to get past the thought of eating spider eggs and then you’re good.
Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes require a relatively short list of ingredients, thanks to the use of a cake mix!
- dark chocolate cake mix
- dark chocolate cocoa powder
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- marshmallow fluff
- almond extract
- black candy melts
- miniature marshmallows
- black sugar pearls
- plastic spider rings
- black food coloring
- black cupcake liners
Have you ever made black cake or cupcakes before? You’re going to love how easy it is!
FAQ About Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes
Do you have some lingering questions about baking these cupcakes? You might find the answer below!
What are Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes?
Marshmallow buttercream and marshmallow strand webs top these black cupcakes. I dipped some of the cupcakes in black candy melts. These are great for a black and white Halloween party!
What is the best way to dye cake batter black for Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes?
Use a dark chocolate cake mix then add a small amount of black food coloring. It will make a rich, black batter without making your teeth turn black.
What are candy melts?
Candy melts are vanilla-flavored discs for candy making and coating. They come in multiple colors for all kinds of fun treats! You can buy them at Walmart, craft and party stores, and other grocery stores.
How many cupcakes can I get from the Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes Recipe?
This recipe makes 24 Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes.
WHAT IS THE BEST PAN FOR BAKING CUPCAKES?
USA Pan is my favorite pan for cupcakes and muffins. The bakes are always even and the pan doesn’t take a beating after each use. And it’s affordable!
WHAT IS THE BEST FROSTING TIP TO USE FOR CUPCAKES?
The 1M star tip from Wilton is my favorite frosting tip. I use it for almost all of my cupcakes! I also use 16-inch Wilton disposable frosting bags.
More Black and White Halloween Ideas
Take a look at some of these other fun recipes and ideas for Halloween featuring that fantastic black and white color pallette!
These are some of my favorite black and white Halloween recipes and ideas! They’re all perfect for a party.
Ghost Krispy Treats
- Everybody loves a cute ghost during Halloween! These gooey treats are so fun and really easy to make.
- You cannot get an easier treat than store bought glazed donuts dipped in even more glaze. The kids are going to love this one!
Halloween Town Printable (from The Nightmare Before Christmas)
- I use this printable on my porch each year. If you’re a fan of The Nightmare Before Christmas movie, you need this free printable!
Spooky Halloween Cake
- If you enjoy Halloween crafts, this cake topper is for you!
DIY Addams Family Porch Sign
- Speaking of great signs to greet guests at your door, this craft is such a fun one! You’ll especially love it if you enjoy working with vinyl.
DIY Halloween Mason Jars
- I can just picture these fantastic mason jars glowing on my fireplace mantel. This is a really cool craft!
Striped Halloween Wreath
- You’ve got your porch sign, now here’s your wreath! McKenzie has a really straightforward tutorial for such a darling wreath.
OREO Ghost Cookies
- Get your hands on this ghost OREO cookie mold and make these these cookies this Halloween!
Black and White Halloween Party Printables
- How about an entire black and white Halloween party? It wouldn’t be complete without all the party printables!
- This is one of my very favorite Halloween recipes ever. These cookies are so cute!
Let’s make Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes!
How about we make these already?
Don’t forget to e-mail me, comment on this post, or message me on social media if you have any questions!
Also, don’t forget to tag me if you share these on Instagram! @cupcakediariesblog
I can’t decide if I like the egg cupcakes better or the ones with candy melts. Just look at those black candy pearls! They’re so shiny and awesome.
Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes
Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes are so wonderfully creepy for a Halloween party! Dark chocolate cake combines with marshmallow buttercream to make these spooky treats.
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix
- 1/4 c dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c oil
- 3 large eggs
- black food coloring
- 24 black cupcake liners
- 1 c unsalted butter, softened but not to room temperature
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 jar marshmallow fluff, 7 oz
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 package black candy melts, 12 oz
- 1 package miniature marshmallows, 16 oz
- 1 package black candy pearls
- 24 plastic spider rings
Bake the Cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place cupcake liners into muffin cups.
2. Combine buttermilk, oil, and eggs in the bowl of your mixer. Add a small amount of black food coloring and mix well. The mixture will then be grey.
3. Add cake mix and cocoa powder to wet ingredients and mix together until combined.
4. Use an ice cream scoop to fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 15-17 minutes and remove from the oven to cool.
Prepare the Frosting
1. Beat the butter with an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time until well combined with the butter; add almond extract and marshmallow fluff.
2. Place the frosting in a 16oz frosting bag fixed with a Wilton 1M star tip. Pipe the frosting evenly over cupcakes.
Top with Spider Webs
1. From here you can either dip the cupcakes into black candy melts or you can go right to adding the spider webs and spiders.
Adding Webs to Cupcakes with Black Candy Melts
1. Melt the candy melts according to package directions. Dip cupcakes into the candy melts enough to cover 1/2-2/3 of the buttercream; allow to cool completely
2. Melt 1 cup mini marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds; do not mix marshmallows.
3. With bare hands or with gloves (this part is sticky), grab about 2 marshmallows and stretch into strands. Place on the cupcakes to make spider webs. Every cupcake will look different! (Baking with Blondie has a great video for applying marshmallows to cupcakes to make the webs!)
4. Use scissors to carefully cut the ring part off of the spider rings. Place spiders onto individual cupcakes.
Adding Webs to Cupcakes without Black Candy Melts
1. With bare hands or with gloves (this part is sticky), grab about 2 marshmallows and stretch into strands. Place on the cupcakes to make spider webs. Every cupcake will look different!
2. Use scissors to carefully cut the ring part off of the spider rings. Place spiders onto individual cupcakes.
3. Add candy pearls one at a time to the frosting and spiderwebs for the spider eggs.
No matter how clean or messy your webs look, the cupcakes are going to look great! Messiness adds to the creepiness!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM3316XBK Artisan Mini Stand Mixers, 3.5 quart, Imperial Black
USA Pan Bakeware Cupcake and Muffin Pan, Nonstick Quick Release Coating, 12-Well, Aluminized Steel
Warmparty Foil Baking Cups Cupcake Wrappers Muffin Liners, Standard Sized, 200 Count (Black)
KitchenAid Classic Mixing Bowls, Set of 3, Pistachio
Oven Safe Cooling & Baking Rack. Easy to Clean 100% Stainless Steel. Heavy Duty Quality with a Tight-Grid 10 X 15 inch. Fits Half Cookie Sheet or Jelly Roll Pan
Spring Chef Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons for Dry or Liquid, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Simply Gourmet Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - Measuring Cup Set for Cooking & Baking, Set of 7.
Cooptop Silicone Spatula Set - Rubber Spatula - 600°F Heat Resistant Baking Spoon & Spatulas (Neutral Grey)
Wilton Disposable 16-Inch Decorating Bags, 12 Pack
Wilton Open Star Piping Tip 1M, unknown, Silver
U.S. Toy Spider Rings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 334mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 2gSugar: 65gProtein: 5g
So, what did you think of the recipe? Leave a review and let me know! As a result, I can create more recipes with you in mind!
This post contains affiliate links. I include these links to help you find the products that I used in the recipe. If you purchase an item from the link, I will receive a small commission helping keep my recipes free for you. Thank you for your support!
- The Very Best Appetizers for New Year’s Eve - December 17, 2022
- 14 Days of Valentine’s Day with FREE Printable Tags - January 20, 2022
- Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes - September 10, 2021
Leave a Reply