Your Fourth of July dessert table needs these Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars! This is a perfectly chewy cookie bar that you will want to make all year long.
I love patriotic holidays and what they mean to me as an American citizen. I am so grateful for those who sacrifice their lives daily so we can enjoy the freedoms we have in this country. The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. I love spending the day with family and feeling the awesome spirit of patriotism that goes along with the holiday. Nothing beats a Fourth of July BBQ and these Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars are the perfect dessert!
What are sugar cookie bars?
If you’re new to sugar cookie bars, let me be the first to welcome you to the goodness.
Sugar cookie bars are chewy and delectable sugar cookies in a bar form. The dough is pressed into a cookie sheet pan and cut like you would cut brownies. You can frost the entire pan and decorate at once, saving time and energy that you would use decorating each individual cookie.
I love making a batch of sugar cookie bars for parties because you can get so many out of one batch. I am able to serve a whole bunch of people with one pan of sugar cookie bars.
You can make sugar cookie bars all year long and customize the frosting and sprinkles to the holiday. The possibilities are endless!
Sugar Cookie Bars Change Lives
Ok maybe this recipe doesn’t literally change peoples’ lives. Or do they? haha I made these for my family and every adult approached me about them.
“What are these?”
“Have you shared this recipe yet?”
“These are amazing!”
They’re kind of a go-to dessert for a party for all the right reasons. Once you’ve made them for the Fourth of July, you’ll want to make them for Halloween and then again for Christmas!
What to Serve with Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars
As much as I would love to just eat dessert, dinner must be eaten first! I love grilling burgers while we’re celebrating our patriotic holidays.
The All-American Burger is simple, juicy, and oh so good. Not to mention patriotic! It’s all in the name. The whole family loves this burger. We love making Cherry Limeade Cooler to drink because of its color, kid-friendliness and the fresh, summery taste. This is a fun one to serve at a party!
Easy Italian Pasta Salad is currently the #1 most popular recipe on my site and for good reason. It’s a great one to serve at a gathering because you can make it the night before, give it a stir, and it’s ready to go. And it’s so yummy and colorful! The Aloha Burger is my very favorite burger on my site. There is so much flavor and texture going on in that burger and I always want to eat a second one. It’s such a good burger!
I’ve been eating Mom’s Orange Jello Salad for as long as I can remember. It always shows up at family get togethers and everyone loves it. It’s a great side dish because it’s kid friendly and really yummy. I also love that it’s light in texture.
Other Patriotic Recipe Ideas for Your BBQ
I can never decide what dessert to bring for the Fourth of July. I love making Red, White and Blue Jello Salad because of its obvious star quality. It’s such a show stopper! That salad can also double as a side dish. My family requests Patriotic M&M Cookies just about every year. That is one tasty cookie right there.
Red, White and Blue Fruit and Brownie Skewers are fun to make and even more fun to eat. I love the combination of chewy, chocolatey brownie with the juicy fruit. Fourth of July Krispy Treats are just tasty tasty tasty. That’s another dessert that gets a lot of compliments! And you can’t beat Chocolate Dipped Oreos for the 4th of July.
There’s a reason why I can’t stop eating these Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars!
They’re just so darn good.
The texture, the flavor, the color…They’ve got it all going on. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 c butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 c sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 5 c flour
- 2 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 c butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 3 Tbsp milk
- blue food coloring
- patriotic sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a standard rimmed cookie sheet (about 12x17) and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar on medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to be incorporated into the mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add vanilla; mix well.
- Whisk together salt, baking soda, and flour in a medium bowl. Slowly add to the sugar mixture until just combined.
- Press the dough evenly into the greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare frosting by using an electric hand mixer to beat the butter until smooth. Then add 2 Tbsp milk, a small amount of food coloring, and almond extract; mix together.
- Add powdered sugar about a half cup at a time to avoid a mess. Add remaining 1 Tbsp milk and combine. At this point you can add more food coloring if you want to darken the color of the frosting.
- Frost sugar cookie bars and immediately add sprinkles. Cut into about 36 bars. Store in an airtight container.
Kitchen Tools and Gadgets Needed for this Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. I include these links to help you find the products that I used in the recipe. If you purchase an item from the link, I will receive a small commission helping keep my recipes free for you. Thank you for your support!
- 14 Days of Valentine’s Day with FREE Printable Tags - January 20, 2022
- Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes - September 10, 2021
- S’more Cookies - August 11, 2021