I have a weakness for mozzarella sticks. When I was pregnant this last time, all I wanted to eat was mozzarella sticks! And since it’s the new year and we’re eating a little healthier over here, we decided to make one of our favorite appetizers into something that we don’t feel guilty about eating. So we baked them!
These mozzarella sticks are perfect for a football watching party or game night. We had them for New Year’s Eve and they were the first thing to go!
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 pack string cheese
- 2 c. Panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 c. flour
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 eggs beaten with a fork
- 1 Tbsp water
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Prepare a dipping station by first cutting each string cheese in half, making 24 pieces.
- Place bread crumbs combined with oregano and basil in a cereal bowl. Place flour in a separate bowl and eggs combined with water in another bowl, totaling three bowls.
- Dip a string cheese piece in the flour and cover completely. Then submerge in egg bowl and end with the bread crumbs. Coat completely with bread crumbs, patting them on as necessary. Repeat with each cheese piece.
- Place coated cheese pieces on a small cookie sheet and place in the freezer over night, or at least 8 hours. This will keep the cheese from melting all over during the baking process.
- Remove from the freezer. Grease another cookie sheet with cooking spray and place each frozen cheese stick on the pan. Lightly spray the tops of the cheese sticks with cooking spray.
- Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 425°, or until lightly golden brown on the top.
- Dip in marinara sauce and enjoy!
Looking for more party appetizers? Here are some of my favorites!