You’ve probably noticed that it’s been a little quiet around here over the last week. I haven’t posted as many recipes lately because I’ve entered the sick phase of pregnancy! Yep, we’re expecting baby #3! We’re so thrilled and can’t wait to meet this little one in October.
Last week I got hit HARD with first trimester sickness and it’s been really really tough to do anything that has to do with food. Including sharing recipes! Thankfully I have help in that area. I’ve called on some of my favorite bloggers to help me out for the next few weeks. They’ll be sharing all kinds of delicious recipes and kitchen tips that I’m so excited for you to see. It’s going to be great having them all here! And I can’t thank them enough for their help during this joyous but incredibly difficult time.
First up on that list of fabulous bloggers is Kara from Simplistically Sassy! She is sharing these amazing Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies that are calling my name. I could stare at this photo all day and it would ease any kind of sickness I’ve got. Love these!! Take it away, Kara!
Hi Cupcake Diaries readers! I’m Kara, and I blog over at Simplistically Sassy. I am a mom of 6 kids that are 7 years apart. My oldest is almost 9 and my youngest is almost 2. It’s crazy and busy around our house, but we love it. I’ve been blogging for just over a year and I’m loving it. I hope you’ll click over and check things out and say hi! You can also find me on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and even Instagram.
Alright, today I’m sharing my homemade Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich cookies with you. When I was a teenager, I had a youth leader bring treats to church one day, and she brought these amazing homemade Oreo cookies, and I LOVED them. Years, and years later, I got her recipe and my family really enjoys making them. I decided it’d be a fun twist to add in some Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (my all time favorite). It’s a fun little twist on a classic recipe, and perfect (and EASY!) for a quick after school treat for St. Patrick’s Day.
Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
1 box chocolate cake mix (any flavor type of chocolate cake is totally fine)
1 stick of margarine (or 1/2 cup of shortening)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine cake mix, egg, and margarine, in a mixer if possible. This will take a little while. I promise it’ll come together. Mix and mix until it becomes cookie dough consistency. It’ll get there I promise.
3. Drop by tablespoon onto a sprayed cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. You want them a little under cooked, so they stay soft.
4. Let the cookies cool completely (or just put them in the freezer for a while like I did if you’re impatient). Pull the ice cream out for a few minutes to slightly soften.
5. Once cookies are cooled and cold, and the ice cream is slightly soft, scoop the ice cream onto a cookie, and top with another cookie. I used my tablespoon cookie scoop to also scoop my ice cream. I’d recommend 1-2 tablespoons of ice cream.
What kind of ice cream would you put in the middle of homemade Oreo cookies?
- Microwave Single-Serve Bread Pudding - June 8, 2020
- Orange Julius (Just Like the Mall!) - April 29, 2020
- 10+ Fun Summer Beverage Recipe Ideas (Kid-Friendly!) - April 24, 2020