I’m a little embarrassed to admit that Monday night was the first time I’d ever eaten Hawaiian Haystacks. My husband was shocked when I told him. It seems like everyone has eaten these before except for me! And probably my siblings. We never had them growing up so it’s not something I’ve ever made for myself. I was on Pinterest the other day when I came by this recipe and thought I’d give it a try for dinner Monday night. My husband and son both loved it. My little guy can be a little picky so I was especially excited when he couldn’t get enough of this. And my husband said that he liked the sauce on these better than what he had growing up. Yay! Another winning recipe discovered. I love that I can make a different Hawaiian Haystack every time with all of the different toppings options out there. This would make a great dish to feed a crowd.
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 32 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp. dry Ranch Dressing seasoning packet
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 c. chicken breast cooked and shredded
- steamed rice enough for your family
- TOPPING OPTIONS:
- Chow Mein crispy noodles
- diced green onions
- black olives
- shredded cheese
- Place the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring to melt. Slowly whisk in the flour, salt, and pepper and stir till smooth and thick (about 1-2 minutes).
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until smooth. Increase the heat to high, whisking until thick (about 2 minutes). Add the sour cream, Ranch seasoning, garlic salt, and cooked chicken. Stir together well.
- Place a nice pile of rice in the middle of your plate and pour some of the gravy over the rice. Top with all kinds of delicious toppings and enjoy!
recipe via Picky Palate
- 14 Days of Valentine’s Day with FREE Printable Tags - January 20, 2023
- The Very Best Appetizers for New Year’s Eve - December 17, 2022
- Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes - September 10, 2021
I’ve never had Hawaiian Haystacks either. I didn’t even know what it was until just now. Thanks. 🙂 Guess I’ll have to try it.
Ohhh this looks really fun, I’ll have to try it! Love your blog, I’m a new follower from the blog hop!
Shatzi @ Love and Laundry says
New follower from the Network Blog Hop. You had me at cupcakes! And I love Hawaiian Haystacks.
I have still never tried these! They look delicious though…Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop 🙂
Modern Modest Beauty
Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims says
I’ve never had these before either, but I really want to try! I think I have all the ingredients on hand, I will have to give it a go this week 🙂
Thanks for linking up to the blog hop!
Suz and Allan says
I’ve never had these either but they look good!
Lauren Allen says
I LOVE Hawaiian haystacks! They’re perfect for nights when I want something delicious but simple! I’ve never tried them with Ranch, though! Can’t wait to try your recipe!
Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later! says
We love Hawaiian Haystacks! Your recipe sounds yummy!