We are big fans of Chinese food at our house! There’s a small Chinese restaurant in our hometown called Canton and we used to loved getting takeout from there. There was a period of time during this pregnancy where Chinese food was not on my list of favorites. I couldn’t even stomach being around it! There was even a night where we were in Idaho with family and my husband’s family had Chinese food for dinner during a party. The kids all got kids meals from Burger King. As much as I love Burger King, I would have much rather eaten Chinese that night!
Thank goodness I’m back to loving Chinese! And I was thrilled when I found this recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. We made this for dinner last week and it tastes like we ordered it from a restaurant. It wasn’t hard to make and the chicken ended up being super tender. That was a good night!
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c. cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- SAUCE: 3/4 c. sugar
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 c. vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- Rinse the chicken breasts in water and pat dry. Cut into bite-sized pieces like you would get when you order at a Chinese restaurant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the cornstarch to coat, then dip them in the egg.
- Heat the 1/2 c. of oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken on both sides-just enough to brown but not cook them all the way through. Place on a plate covered with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Place the chicken in a greased 9×13 baking dish. Mix all of the sweet and sour sauce ingredients together in a bowl with a whisk then pour evenly over the chicken.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350°, turning the chicken halfway through baking. Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters’ Stuff
Here are more of my favorite homemade Chinese dishes!
Restaurant-Style General Tsao’s Chicken
Baked Orange Chicken
- 14 Days of Valentine’s Day with FREE Printable Tags - January 20, 2023
- The Very Best Appetizers for New Year’s Eve - December 17, 2022
- Black and White Spider Web Cupcakes - September 10, 2021
Hello! Thanks for hopping by during the May Networking Blog Hop! Love the cupcakes theme! So cute! We love Chinese too so I may need to try this! 😀
Just made this recipe the other night and it was so DELISH! Thanks for the great recipes Alli! 🙂
Allison Miller says
Thanks so much for the comment, Jarae!! I’m so glad you guys liked this! It’s one of our favorites.