Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss! We all know that Dr. Seuss (Theodore Seuss Geisel) was an absolute genius. And thanks to him, my childhood was full of fun books that made my imagination run wild. It’s fun to share Dr. Seuss with my son now. He really likes the show “The Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That” on PBS, as well as the books I read to him. Dr. Seuss would have been 108 today.
- In May of 1954, Life published a report concerning illiteracy among school children. The report said, among other things, that children were having trouble to read because their books were boring. This inspired Dr. Seuss’ publisher, and prompted him to send Dr. Seuss a list of 400 words he felt were important, asked him to cut the list to 250 words (the publishers idea of how many words at one time a first grader could absorb), and write a book. Nine months later, Dr. Seuss, using 220 of the words given to him published The Cat in the Hat, which went on to instant success.
- In 1960 Bennett Cerf bet Dr. Seuss $50 that he couldn’t write an entire book using only fifty words. The result was Green Eggs and Ham. Cerf never paid the $50 from the bet.
In honor of Dr. Seuss, I wanted to share with you a whole bunch of fun ideas to celebrate his big day. Birthday party ideas, snacks, and even bedding! And before the day is over, go check out the fantastic Dr. Seuss website Seussville. It is so fun, bright, and interactive. This website makes me so happy!
I just love these darling Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes! That cotton candy really does the trick!
These cupcakes are also super cute. So bright and fun!
I love the idea of a Dr. Seuss birthday party. You could do SO much with it. This blog has a ton of great ideas!
And here is another blog with more Dr. Seuss birthday party ideas! So fun!
This cake is so awesome! I love the whimsical look it has. Just like the animations in Dr. Seuss’ book. What a fun addition to a Dr. Seuss birthday party!
Latest posts by Alli (see all)
- Orange Julius (Just Like the Mall!) - April 29, 2020
- 10+ Fun Summer Beverage Recipe Ideas (Kid-Friendly!) - April 24, 2020
- Lemon Lush Dessert - April 22, 2020