Green Beans and Bacon is the perfect side dish for a grilled steak or Thanksgiving dinner. They’re flavorful, colorful, and delicious!
Almost every Thanksgiving I’ve had with Grandma and Grandpa Murri I remember having Green Beans and Bacon as one of the many options of side dishes. This dish is quite popular with the Murri family, showing up here and there at other family functions. These beans are one of my favorite side dishes at Thanksgiving dinner. They’re so flavorful. And what better way to get the kiddos to eat their veggies than to throw bacon in with them!
Green Beans and Bacon
- 2 1/2 pounds green beans trimmed
- 1/2 pound bacon roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- Toss the green beans into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until bright green in color and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the beans and shock in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain the beans again and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a large, heavy saute pan until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Spoon off the excess bacon grease, leaving 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and saute until soft and very tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the garlic and saute until just fragrant, about 1 more minute. Add green beans and toss with bacon and onion. Cook and toss 5minutes, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:
More of my favorite side dishes…
Latest posts by Alli (see all)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - February 12, 2020
- Homemade Dipped Oreos for Valentine’s Day - February 7, 2020
- Rudolph and Friends Christmas Cupcakes - December 17, 2019