We have our friends at Favorite Famiy Recipes to thank for this recipe! I made this for my husband last night and it is now one of his favorites too. It's a great take on traditional spaghetti and meatballs with a little flare.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pkg (1 lb) uncooked ground italian sausage
- 1 box rotini pasta
- 1 can or bottle of four cheese spaghetti sauce (we used Hunt's traditional and it turned out great)
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 c. mozzarella cheese (divided)
- Start by getting your pasta put in the pot and get it cooking. While the pasta is going, roll the sausage into small balls. The picture below is to show what size I rolled the sausage so I apologize for how weird and gross it looks. :)
2. Next, in a large saute pan brown the garlic in olive oil. Then add the sausage and cook them till browned.
3. When the pasta is cooked and the sausage is browned, put both in a large bowl (after draining the pasta, of course). Then add the spaghetti sauce, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir everything together.
4. Pour the pasta mixture into a greased 9x13 casserole dish or glass pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Then top it with the last cup of cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.