The epic journey continues with these bright and colorful Moana Cupcakes! They’re perfect for a Moana birthday party or to enjoy while watching the movie at home.
Scroll to the bottom of the post for more Moana ideas!
Moana was such a breath of fresh air when it came to theaters. I loved Frozen and how different it was from all the other Disney princess movies. The music was fantastic and the storyline was so much fun. And then Moana hit theaters and changed everything. It was so different in the best of ways. And the music was nothing short of amazing. Moana Cupcakes just seemed like a really good idea. And with the release of the movie on blu-ray TODAY, it seemed like a good day to share this treat! Moana would be SO fun to meet at Disneyland.
These cupcakes were so much fun and really easy to make. You can use a box cake mix and canned frosting like I did to make your cupcakes, or you can even buy already made cupcakes from your grocery store. From there it’s just a matter of adding the elements on top!
I made these simple cupcake toppers for you to cut out and place right on top of your cupcakes. You will want to print them on white card stock for the best quality and durability. I used my 2-inch scallop punch to get the cute flower shape.
After you frost your cupcakes and punch the toppers, all that’s left to add is a palm tree pick and flower icing decorations. You can place the flowers wherever you’d like on the cupcakes with however many you want to use. This package comes with 32 flowers so you can mix it up if you’re making 24 cupcakes, but if you want three on each you will need to buy three packages. Some of my cupcakes had three flowers, some had one…It was fun to mix it up.
The nice thing about these cupcakes besides being super cute is that the frosting job doesn’t have to be pretty. You’re going to be popping a topper right on top and adding some flowers. They’re just so much fun!
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cans vanilla frosting
- 24 turquoise cupcake liners
- 2 sheets Moana cupcake toppers printed and punched out
- 2 packages palm tree picks
- 1-3 packages flower icing decorations
- Combine cake mix, buttermilk, oil, and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer; mix for two minutes on medium speed. Use a rubber scraper to scrape the bowl for dry mix.
- Place cupcake liners into muffin tins; use an ice cream scoop to fill each cup 2/3 full with chocolate cake batter. Bake 350° F for 13-15 minute, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Carefully remove baked cupcakes from tins and place on a cooling rack to cool. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes!!
Looking for more Moana recipes, games, tutorials? Take a look at the ideas below!
Moana Party Games | Girl Loves Glam
Orange Pineapple Coconut Smoothie | The Love Nerds
Coconut Poke Cake | Sugar & Soul
Moana Paper Pennant Banner | Simply Made Fun
Moana Mocktail | Play Party Plan
Pineapple Sugar Cookies | Your Everyday Family
Moana Tropical Banana Crush Slush | The Benson Street
Moana Felt Flower Headband | My Mom Made That
Tattoo Shirt Sleeve Tutorial | Sew What Alicia
This post contains affiliate links. I include these links to help you find the products that I used in the recipe. If you purchase an item from the link, I will receive a small commission helping keep my recipes free for you. Thank you for your support!
- Microwave Single-Serve Bread Pudding - June 8, 2020
- Orange Julius (Just Like the Mall!) - April 29, 2020
- 10+ Fun Summer Beverage Recipe Ideas (Kid-Friendly!) - April 24, 2020