It’s holiday treat time! Holiday treats are my favorite. I have a hard time keeping myself under control this time of year. ha! I especially love a good treat I can easily make, cut up, and package up to give to neighbors. These Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars are one of my husband’s favorite treats ever. They’re so yummy and pretty! And this recipe makes a big pan so you can cut a whole bunch up for neighbor treat plates.
Don’t you just love that fabulous Christmas green frosting? And I love choosing sprinkles whenever I make these. Too much fun! This is a great treat for the kiddos to help decorate.
Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 c. butter softened at room temperature
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 5 c. flour
For the Frosting:
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. butter softened at room temperature
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 3 Tbsp milk
- green food coloring
- Christmas sprinkles
- Grease a standard rimmed cookie sheet (about 12x17) and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar on medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to be incorporated into the mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add vanilla; mix well.
- Whisk together salt, baking soda, and flour in a medium bowl. Slowly add to the sugar mixture until just combined.
- Press the dough evenly into the greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare frosting by using an electric hand mixer to beat the butter until smooth. Then add 2 Tbsp milk, a small amount of food coloring, and almond extract; mix together.
- Add powdered sugar about a half cup at a time to avoid a mess. Add 1 Tbsp milk and combine. At this point you can add more food coloring if you want to darken the color of the frosting.
- Frost sugar cookie bars and immediately add sprinkles. Cut into about 36-40 bars. Store in an airtight container. These can be easily made the day before you need them and stored to serve the next day.
Such a yummy treat! I’m not kidding when I say this makes a good sized batch. We’re talking a cookie sheet full of these fabulous bars. So perfect if you need to package a bunch up and give them away. Or just for a late night of watching Jimmy Fallon, whatever. They’re great for everything!
If you’re one who loves to make gifts for Christmas, I’ve got a great list of ideas for you today! I’ve teamed up with some of my favorite bloggers for a “Handmade Holiday” round up to share some of our favorite handmade goodies to share for the holidays, including my Christmas Sugar Cooke Bars. This is such a great list of gift ideas! Just click the links below to see them all…
Latest posts by Alli (see all)
- St. Patrick’s Day Caramel Pretzel Bites - March 9, 2020
- St. Patrick’s Day Dipped Oreos - March 2, 2020
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - February 12, 2020