A perfectly chocolatey and delicious muffin that’s full of flavor and healthier ingredients. This is one chocolate muffin you don’t have to feel guilty about eating!
My mom, sisters, and sister-in-law (and all the babies) drove from Idaho and stayed at my house last weekend for mine and my twin’s 28th birthday and I thought about going to Costco and getting some of those big chocolate muffins. Then we decided to make some chocolate muffins of our own! What I love most about these is how good they taste, yet they’re healthier. I’m not kidding-I was expecting wheat flour, applesauce, and the serious lack of cane sugar to make these muffins taste a little more on the bland side. I was totally wrong! They are SO good, and we had these little guys for breakfast every morning over birthday weekend. These are a chocolate muffin I don’t have to feel guilty eating so many! And I hear they freeze really well. Amongst the whole group, we ended up polishing off an entire batch of these in four days. But the next time I make them I plan on setting some aside to freeze and pull out for future breakfasts.
Chocolate Chip Applesauce Muffins
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 c. brown sugar packed
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 3/4 c. milk
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl or your stand mixer bowl, combine both flours, brown sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla. Slowly add this mixture to the dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula or spoon.
- Coat muffin pans with cooking spray OR place cupcake liners in the cups. Fill each cup 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pans. Place on a wire rack after they cool for a bit. These are awesome served warm!
Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:
So easy and so good! I love having a batch of these muffins around for the kids to eat on their way to school.