I am being compensated by Cans Get You Cooking for sharing this recipe and information about cooking with canned foods. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
My mother-in-law has some signature dishes she makes for different occasions. Over Easter we had a fun Easter egg hunt with the grandkids then came inside for pulled pork sandwiches and what could very well be my brother-in-law’s favorite food ever: Calico Beans. In his words, “I’ll just take the pot in the corner and have this for lunch.”
The Cans Get You Cooking campaign is all about using canned foods to feed your family healthy and flavorful meals. This recipe goes so perfectly with that! Calico Beans are a perfect side dish option for family dinner, a summer bbq, or anytime you’re craving them. And you’re going to love how easy it is to make these beans. Almost all the ingredients come from a can, which means less prep and you can make them all year round.
Another thing I love about this recipe is all the goodness inside and my kids have no idea. Usually green things mean gross, but they LOVE these beans. They’re loaded with fiber and quality ingredients, like Del Monte Green Lima Beans and S&W Kidney Beans. And both of these beans add great color to the dish.
As the weather slowly starts to warm, you’re going to want to have a bbq and make these beans. So keep this recipe in your “cantry” and make it as soon as you can!
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1/2 c. onion diced
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 28oz can pork and beans
- 1 15oz can kidney beans
- 1 15oz can baby green lima beans
- Cook bacon in a saute pan. Drain grease and add ground beef to the same pan; cook and set aside. Do not drain.
- In a large pot, add onion, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, mustard, vinegar, and all beans. Combine well and place in the oven.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes uncovered, or until heated through.
Have you tried utilizing Cantry Thursdays in your meal planning? By the time Thursdays roll around, most of your groceries have been used or have spoiled. And you’re just plain tired from the long week. The last thing you want to do is spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The solution is in your Cantry. You can make a nutritious and quick meal for your family thanks to the canned foods in your pantry. Give it a try! We had Cantry Thursday this last Thursday night and I made Taco Soup. It was great!
- Microwave Single-Serve Bread Pudding - June 8, 2020
- Orange Julius (Just Like the Mall!) - April 29, 2020
- 10+ Fun Summer Beverage Recipe Ideas (Kid-Friendly!) - April 24, 2020