I love blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes…Blueberries are my favorite fruit with breakfast. Which is why we made these amazing sweet rolls! I shared this recipe over at Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke, but it was necessary that I share it here so my readers don’t miss out. It’s a goody!
These sweet rolls have the perfect amount of sweetness. The tart blueberries go so well with the sweet lemon glaze. These are just yummy!
Isn’t that purple color so pretty? These really are the perfect breakfast treat.
Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze
For the Dough
- 1 c. milk
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1½ Tbsp active dry yeast 2 packets
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 c. bread flour
For the Filling
- 1 – 10 to 12oz package frozen blueberries still frozen
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
For the Glaze
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Heat milk to 95° in the microwave or in a saucepan. Add milk and sugar to a stand mix bowl. Stir together with a spoon, then sprinkle yeast over the mixture. Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add butter, eggs, and salt and mix with hook attachment on low. Beat in flour and increase speed to medium. Continue beating for 3 minutes, or until a soft dough forms.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat dough for 10 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour by the spoonful.
- Form dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour, or until double in size.
- Line the bottom of a 9×13 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle a little flour on the counter top and place the dough ball on top. Roll into a 10×24 inch rectangle.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the dough, leaving about an inch of space along the bottom length of the rectangle. Sprinkle the frozen blueberries over the sugar and cornstarch.
- Tightly roll dough to form a 24-inch log. Working quickly, cut the dough log in half, then cut each of those two pieces in half, making four separate dough logs. Cut each dough log into 4 evenly sized slices. Place each roll in the prepared pan, cut sides up.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400° and bake rolls for 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before adding glaze.
- Prepare glaze by whisking together powdered sugar, heavy cream, lemon juice, and vanilla. Drizzle glaze over rolls and serve.
I hope you enjoy these sweet rolls as much as we do! Here are some of my other favorite fruity breakfast recipes…