It’s a new week and new recipes are about to pop the seams of this blog. We had some serious family time over the last week with both our families and did all kinds of cooking and baking. It was so fun! Now I’m back and ready to share all of the yummy recipes with you. So brace yourselves! It’s about to get good.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chillies, drained (hot or mild, depending on your heat preference.)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1/2 – 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper
- corn tortilla chip strips (can be found at most grocery stores) OR 4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, diced (optional) - Tip: Toss with lime juice to prevent browning!
Place the chicken in the crock pot. In a separate bowl, combine chillies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, 1/2 c. chicken broth, and cumin. Mix together and pour over chicken. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 1/2 – 6 hours. (I prefer cooking on low so the chicken is more tender.)
When done cooking, shred the chicken with two forks. Give the broth a taste test and add more chicken broth if you think it needs it. Just before serving, throw in the tortilla strips and cilantro right before serving. Stir together.
Serve in soup bowls and top with shredded cheese, avocado, and squeeze of lime.