Warm and creamy ham and potato soup with half the calories! This is a great recipe for Weight Watchers and tastes like it’s full of cream.
It’s the first week of the new year, which means exercise and dieting are in full swing for people everywhere. I find myself jealous of the guy on “The Biggest Loser” the other night who lost 22 pounds in a week. Wouldn’t that be fabulous? But since we live in the real world and the rest of us aren’t on the Biggest Loser ranch, we’re left to fend for ourselves and work our hind ends off on our own. Thank goodness for the other help we have out there!
This soup is a light recipe that many Weight Watchers members use in their point system. At 4 points per serving and only 148 calories (say what!?), this delicious potato soup is one that you don’t have to feel guilty about eating. I made this for my family for dinner and my husband liked it more than the other potato soup recipe I’ve made that’s full of heavy cream and other additives. There really is hope out there! And to top things off, the crock pot does all the work for you. Oh happy day!
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- 7 c. potatoes diced into small chunks
- 1 c. onion diced (or large chunks, if using for flavor but removing later*)
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 c. ham diced
- 5 c. hot water
- 5 chicken bullion cubes
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make broth by dissolving bullion cubes in hot water.
- Place potatoes, carrot, and onion in a slow cooker. Place diced ham over the veggies and pour broth over top.
- Cook on low for 5-5 1/2 hours. *I remove the large chunks of onion at this point and throw them away. Remove half the potatoes and smash; return smashed potatoes to the crock pot.
- Add milk and sour cream; cook for 10-15 more minutes. Add salt and pepper, as needed.
Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:
This recipe is one of our very favorites when we’re trying to lose weight! And because it has so few calories per serving, I don’t feel guilty about eating a roll or two with it. We love this recipe!
Are you on My Fitness Pal? Make this soup and search “Weight Watchers crock pot ham and potato soup” to log it!
Latest posts by Alli (see all)
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting for Beginners Recipe - November 6, 2019
- Friends TV Show Cupcakes and Toppers - September 22, 2019
- Halloween Dipped Oreos - September 17, 2019