Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rolls

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Buffer this page

The fluffy and lightly sweet rolls that keep everyone coming back to Texas Roadhouse that can now be made at home!

copycat-texas-roadhouse-rolls

Our family has made the move to Utah and we’re up and running with the internet! Woo hoo! I was starting to feel lost there for a bit. This last weekend was a busy one trying to get everything from our home in Idaho to our new place in Utah. We had a lot of people helping us this weekend and we really appreciate everything that was done for us to get us here. We have the greatest friends and family ever.

One of my favorite things about Texas Roadhouse is those darn rolls. Wow, those things are deliciously dangerous. There’s no way I can eat just one…basket. Seriously though, they’re amazing. I’d like to thank the person who came up with the idea to serve those lovelies to the guests as a starter. Bless you. My husband and I treated my mom and sisters to Texas Roadhouse this last weekend for helping us so much with moving. When we sat down with those rolls in front of us I remembered that I have a copycat recipe for them that I’ve been needing to share. So let’s get to it!

copycat-texas-roadhouse-rolls-3

• 1/2 c. sugar
  • 7-7.5 c. flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. honey

Instructions

1. Place milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature.
  2. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside. In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine yeast, warm water, and 1 Tbsp sugar . Let the yeast get bubbly.
  3. Add the rest of the sugar, honey, milk, and 3 1/2 c. flour to the yeast mixture. Beat together for two minutes. Add butter, eggs, and salt. Mix again, well.
  4. Remove the whisk attachment and start using the hook attachment from here. Add the rest of the flour a half a cup at a time until the dough begins to separate from the sides of the bowl. Let it rest for 3-5 minutes.
  5. Knead the dough in the bowl for 5 minutes. Add flour a tablespoon at a time if the dough seems sticky. Get out a large bowl and grease it with butter.
  6. Remove dough from the mixing bowl and place in the greased bowl. Flip it around till the entire outside is nice and shiny. Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to double in size (about 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the temperature of your kitchen). Once the dough has doubled, smash it down with your fists (also called “punching”) for about a minute.
  7. Roll the dough out to about a 1/2 inch thick. Then fold the dough in half, now making it an inch thick, and roll over with a rolling pin to seal it together. Cut the dough into 2-inch squares using a dough scraper (or whatever you have that will work well to cut the dough).
  8. Place the dough on a greased baking sheet, a dozen on a pan like you would cookies, and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to double in size again (about 1 hour).
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Immediately rub the tops with a little bit of butter for that fabulous shine. Enjoy!

recipe adapted from Eat Cake for Dinner

Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 8.03.05 PMScreen Shot 2016-05-06 at 12.41.48 PMScreen Shot 2016-05-06 at 8.06.41 PMScreen Shot 2016-05-10 at 9.51.23 AMScreen Shot 2016-05-10 at 9.53.43 AMScreen Shot 2016-05-06 at 1.02.51 PMScreen Shot 2016-05-10 at 10.02.44 AM

And you can’t make the famous rolls without making Copycat Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Honey Butter to go with them!

Copycat Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Honey Butter

copycat-texas-roadhouse-cinnamon-honey-butter

Comments

• Barbara Neeley says

I made these in the 36 amount that it said and they were way too tall and didn’t cook through in the allotted time. Another site says it makes 60 rolls. which is correct? 7 cups of flour with only one pkg of yeast is a lot of flour to the amount of yeast. The taste was spot on and I want to try them again. thanks Barbarb

• Allison Miller says

Hi Barbara! Thanks so much for your comment. I made these rolls pretty recently and decided the 36 amount was too low as well and completely forgot to change it on the recipe card. You could probably get another dozen from the dough and have it make about 48. Thank you again for your comment! I’ll change the recipe right away.

• says

That is an excellent question. I’ve never tried freezing the dough, but it seems like it would work to freeze. Someone will have to test that out and let us all know how it goes! But I think it would work to freeze it.

• Nancy says

I freeze dough all the time. I make all my own bread and rolls I make extra dough and freeze it to use for pizza crust. It works great.

• Claudiabeth Ioanes says

You can always prebake your rolls at 250 degrees.. when risen and set but still white cool and freeze. To bake place in oven and brown

• says

you can freeze the dough after the first rise. Punch it down and shape rolls, place in ziplock bags (squeeze out as much air as possiable) and freeze. When ready to use, place on sheetpan, and let rise (this may take a while, and hour to 2 hours). Another option (the easiest) bake the whole batch and freeze (in foddsaver), they thaw in less than 1/2 hour and come out just as good.

1. says

Trying to make these right now. I am new to making rolls so a few pics may have been helpful and maybe some more descriptive directions. But thanks for sharing the recipe.

2. says

This has to be one of the worst recipes ever!!! Baking is very scientific and I just wasted about $10.00 and half my day trying to follow directions that weren’t there.
    1. Add enough flour to make a med batter (what does that mean, 1/2 cup 1 cup?
    2. Beat thoroughly (how long is that)?
    3. Add enough flour to form a soft dough but not all 8 cups, how can there still be 8 cups if I had to add the flour to make a batter.
    4.Punch with rage, how long is that and what kind of rage, my unfaithful ex husband rage or rage from just having wasted my afternoon trying to follow directions that are not specific, and now that I have raged out on my dough what should it look like?
    SO ANNOYED!!!!!!

• says

Gail, thanks so much for leaving your comment and letting me know about your experience making this recipe. I apologize that some of the steps weren’t written very clearly! I’ve gone back through and changed those steps so hopefully it makes more sense now. I’m so sorry you ended up wasting money!! I hope you’ll try to make this recipe again sometime and that it will go much better. Thanks again for leaving your comment!

• says

Some times we forget a few steps when we are use to doing something. I think that’s called being human. I’m so glad you took the time to share that recipe. However I did just ask a couple of questions myself. I hope you will be able to answer. I need to know what to grease the pan with and how far apart to place the rolls. Thank you so much!

3. says

I don’t know what I did wrong. I was very careful with it and didn’t want to over work it… the rolls were very dense and doughy.. Not pleasant at all. The recipe seems great, I just don’t know what I personally did wrong to it.

4. says

I just made these! They are in the oven for the second rise. My only concern is that I only got 3 dozen instead of 5! Do you know what I should have done differently? 95% are the 2×2 inch squares…some maybe be off a little but I don’t think that would have put me off by 2 whole dozen . Either way I am so excited to try these with dinner and I am getting ready to start the cinnamon butter now! Thank you for the recipe!!

5. says

Have never been to a Texas Roadhouse. But wanted to try these. Oh my goodness these are wonderful! I used the honey and will continue to do so. I think it keeps the texture and the flavor better than most when reheated!
    Thank you for sharing! In my recipe book already for use during holidays!

6. says

I married into a family that cooks and cooks, and have never tasted such amazing food in my life, so day is almost thanksgiving and my husband’s mom says, hey, I’ve never tasted your cooking, will you make some rolls for 30 people tomorrow? …..can you imagine how nervous i am? I’m making these but because i made them once for my family and i loved them. Still can’t decide if i wanna try the honey.

7. says

I have already made these and loved them. But my husbands mom says, I have never tasted your cooking, can you make some rolls for 30 people on Sunday… gulp.. I’m so making these. Don’t know if iwanna try the honey tho

8. says

Want to make these, but don’t know what flour to use, plain or self-rising or cake, or whatever? Please someone that has made these let me know. Thank you. Not much of a baker but absolutely love bread in any way shape or form.

9. says

Tried recipe twice, no rising the first time. 2nd time, got a little bit of a rise, do I kept going. When they came out, they wee very dense, I thought they should be light and airy. Can’t figure out what I did wrong. You had a lot of positive comments, so I presume I am the culprit, but not sure where I went wrong, please help.

• Allison Miller says

Thanks for your comment, Christine! There are a few things that could have gone wrong. The first could be the date on your yeast. If it’s old it won’t work like it should. There’s also the possibility that the rolls didn’t have enough time to rise, making them dense. The rising time will vary depending on the temperature in your house. Our house is about 70 degrees and it takes almost two hours for these rolls to rise. The other possibility is that the water was either too hot or too cold when combined with the yeast, causing the yeast to “die.” Please let me know if you have any other questions! I hope that if you try this recipe again you’ll have more success!

• Allison Miller says

Hi Diane! I’ve never tried this recipe into a loaf of bread. But if it worked, it would be SO good!! If you try it, come back and let me know how it is!

10. Caitlin says

I was at Texas Roadhouse last night and saw several packages of Saf-Instant yeast in the Kingdom of Rolls! When I make them for Easter, I’m going to try the Saf-Instant. It’s available through King Arthur Flour and I don’t have any stores around me that carry it :( One step closer to perfection!

11. Kara says

Made these today, and I like them even more than the ones from the resturant. Mine came out a bit denser and less sweet than the official rolls, but I actually prefer both of those things so it was a nice surprise.

12. says

Thanks for the great recipe, but I have just a few questions. What should be used to grease the pan with and how far appart do you place the rolls? Hope I guessed right, because I’m trying them right now. They look great in the pic so if they don’t turn out this time I will just keep trying. Thanks again for the recipe.

• Allison Miller says

Hi! Thanks for the comment. Great questions! You can grease the pan with cooking spray or butter, whichever you prefer. And I usually fit about 15-20 rolls on the baking sheet, depending on small each piece of dough ends up being. You can start with a dozen and see how that looks, then add more the next batch if it seems like you can fit more. Thanks!!

13. Victor says

My only hope is that you consider posting this with weight instead of, or in addition to, volume measurements. It will make this recipe much more foolproof. 1 cup of flour is anywhere between 4 and 5 oz, depending in the compression of the flour in the measuring cup.

14. Precious says

This recipient is AWESOME! My family has really enjoyed it and I will definitely be making them again! I also tried refrigerating the dough I wasn’t able to bake in my first batch. After 2 days of Bering chilled and baking as indicated, the tools were even better! Thanks again for sharing this recipient!

15. Sheena says

I made these and the dough didn’t really double in size like it was supposed to to. I did everything like the directions said. But I kept on going and they good I was pleased. I made some into rolls and the other half I fried for fry bread they turned out amazing for fried bread I will defiantly use this recipe again.

• Allison Miller says

Hi Sheena! I’m so glad they worked out for you in the end. That part where the dough doubles in size can take a while. I think it was 2 hours the last time I made them. And I love that you fried them! That’s such a great idea. Thanks for your comment!

16. says

I must try this! In my younger days, we used to go to Texas Roadhouse for peach margaritas and the ROLLS! They are still a favorite when we go. We will be making these soon!!

17. says

These look really delicious! I have never been to a Texas Roadhouse. I have also not heard of putting honey in rolls so this would be an experiment for me. Hopefully I can get them to come out as yummy as yours look.
    Bismah recently posted…Cinnamon Apple ParfaitsMy Profile

18. Linda Williams says

Hi,just wondering,the recipe says scalded milk but your directions say boil. Scalded milk is heated at low temp till it has sort of a film or skin on top,so that might be why some tries are failing. I want to try this recipe! Sounds so good!

19. Brianna says

Okay so I see that in the directions, I need a whisk and hook attachment but don’t have those just a regular hand blender and a hand held whisk, if I use these tools will my rolls come out the same or will they come out all wrong????

• Allison Miller says

Great question, Brianna! You can still use a hand blender and a handheld whisk, but you’ll be doing more work with the handheld whisk is all. You’ll just have stronger arm muscles than the rest of us! But it will totally work!

• Allison Miller says

Great question, Heather! Yes, the recipe can be cut in half. Instead of doing one packet of yeast, you can either use half a packet or you can buy a jar of yeast and use 1 1/8 tsp. instead. Everything else you can just use half the ingredients listed. Thanks, Heather! Let me know if you have any other questions!

20. says

Oh my! My boyfriend took me to Texas Roadhouse for the first time last year and ever since then I’ve been looking for a copy cat recipe. I dream about their rolls!!! I’m going to try to make a healthier version of these. I’m not sure it’s possible but I HAVE to try!
    Erika Poynter recently posted…Swim WorkoutMy Profile

21. Dianne says

Has anyone tried making the dough in a bread maker on the dough-only setting? Just wondering what modifications to make this work.

22. Laura says

I made these yesterday as they looked and sounded yummy! Now I have never had original Texas Roadhouse Rolls,so I cant make the comparison.I had no trouble making them and believe me when I tell you I am not a baker type person!
    I had no issues with making them and I only used 6 & 1/2 cups of flour.
    Well they were loved by everyone that ate them and that was four adults here and a three year old! Then I took a plate over to a neighbor whos hub was out of town and she also raved about them! Definitely a hit ! I did think for my own opinion they were delicious but a little on the sweet side,so I may cut some of the sweetness out next time,but I thought they were yummy too! Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely make them again! I baked them on lightly sprayed with Pam parchment paper! 😉 Heart these! Laura

• Allison Miller says

I’m so glad, Laura! Thank you so much for leaving your comment. It makes me happy that everyone loved them!

23. Becca says

I’m trying these in the bread machine now! :) I should have maybe cut the recipe in half. lol My bread machine isn’t big so it’s definitely working hard!!!! I will let you know how they turn out! I have to make 14 dozen rolls today for a luncheon! haha

• Alli says

I’m sorry, Lisa! This recipe can definitely be tricky. I’m sorry that it didn’t work out for you!

24. Pam says

The Texas Road house roll is your basic dinner roll. The sweetness comes from a clear sugar water glaze that they brush on top after baking them. I saw them do this. That’s the way my husbands grandmother did it. tastes just like the way she made them.

25. Ian says

Thank you for the recipe Alli! I have made these now dozens of times and they always turn out wonderful. I am an experienced amateur baker having baked my own bread for nearly 30 of my 50 years, so I found your instructions spot on. I would suggest that the less experienced baker note a couple very import principals in your recipe:

1. The temperature of the scalded milk must cool down substantially to avoid killing the proofed yeast, or it will kill the yeast. No active yeast, no fluffy rolls.

2. The method of mixing most/all of the wet ingredients into half of the flour is absolutely brilliant and guarantees great consistency from roll to roll. And is a lot easier for those of us with arthritis.

3. Kneading the dough thoroughly for the wonderful stretchy, bouncy, but smooth texture is critical.

26. Amanda says

Made these rolls tonight and they were absolutely A-MA-ZING!!!! Almost identical to Texas Roadhouse. My family loved them. Thanks so much for a great recipe!