Happy National S’more Day! This has got to be my number one favorite food holiday. You can’t go wrong with an ooey gooey s’more! I decided to take the classic s’more to a different level and made these decadent S’more Whoopie Pies. Two chewy chocolate cookies with a layer of creamy marshmallow buttercream frosting topped with a smooth chocolate ganache and crunchy graham cracker crumbs. You have GOT to try this treat!
Make these and your friends and family will think you got them from a bakery. They’re pretty fantastic! I feel like a kid biting into one of these whoopie pies. And you’re going to love how easy they are to make!
S’more Whoopie Pies
For the Cookies:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 6 Tbsp butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 eggs whisked
For the Marshmallow Buttercream:
- 1 c. butter softened but not to room temperature
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 7oz jar marshmallow fluff
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. almond extract
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 1/3 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- 1 graham cracker crushed (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place cake mix in a large bowl; add cooled butter and whisked eggs.
- Mix dough with wooden spoon or hands till it comes together. Use a cookie scoop to form dough into 1-inch balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare ganache by placing heavy cream in a sauce pan and chocolate chips in a glass bowl.
- Bring heavy cream to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to avoid scalding, and pour over chocolate chips. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and whisk together till nice and smooth. Dip the top of 12 cookies in the ganache to coat. Place back on the wire rack and add crushed graham crackers to the dipped part of the cookie.
- Prepare the frosting by placing the butter in a medium/large bowl. Beat the butter with a mixer until nice and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar about a 1/2 c. at a time till well combined with the butter. Then add the almond extract. Add marshmallow fluff and mix well.
- Place the frosting in a 16oz frosting bag or a Ziploc bag. Cut off the tip of the frosting bag, or one of the corners of the Ziploc bag, about 3/4" up. (No frosting tip needed!)
- Press frosting down into the corner of the bag and pipe on the bottom of the remaining 12 cookies. Cover with ganache-dipped cookies to form a sandwich.
- Allow ganache to cool before serving. Enjoy!
It wouldn’t be a food holiday without more great recipe ideas! If you’re a fan of s’more desserts, you’re going to love this round up of decadent s’more treats. Yum!
S’more Muddy Buddies from Like Mother Like Daughter
S’mores Poke Cake from Butter with a Side of Bread
S’more Macaroons from Ashlee Marie
Chocolate Chip Cookie S’mores from Real Mom Kitchen
Rice Krispie S’mores from Summer Scraps
Frozen S’more Cups from Creations by Kara
Vegan S’mores Served Two Ways from Happy Food Healthy Life
S’mores Pie from Jamie Cookies It Up!
S’more Whoopie Pies from Cupcake Diaries
S’more Filled Donuts from Ashlee Marie
Peanut Butter S’mores Fudge from Like Mother Like Daughter
Caramel S’mores Pops from Butter with a Side of Bread
S’more Cookies from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Indoor S’mores from Real Mom Kitchen
S’more Cupcakes from Cupcake Diaries
S’more Ice Cream from Ashlee Marie
Chewy S’mores Granola Bars from Real Mom Kitchen
S’mores Snack Mix from Like Mother, Like Daughter
Fudge Striped Cookie S’mores from Butter with a Side of Bread
Caramel S’more Munch Mix from Jamie Cookies It Up!
S’mores Milkshake from Cupcake Diaries
Peanut Butter S’mores Dip from Real Mom Kitchen
S’more Bars from Cupcake Diaries