Perfectly moist and decadent carrot cake is full of carrot goodness and topped with a cream cheese frosting. This recipe is perfect for spring and summer!
My grandma makes THE best carrot cake. It’s one of my very favorite things that she bakes and I can’t get enough. My cousin’s wedding cake was even Grandma’s famous carrot cake. It’s so good it’s ridiculous.
I decided to give Grandma’s carrot cake recipe a go without actually making the recipe. I wanted to make the recipe my own, but still give it that yummy touch that Grandma is so good at. I created the recipe, called her up, and asked her a few questions about some of my ingredient choices. She told me that my recipe sounded a lot like hers just different measurements. I’ll take it!
There’s something about this time of year that makes me want carrot cake all the time. It’s like the unofficial dessert of spring. This cake is the perfect dessert for Easter dinner or for any Sunday dinner! I absolutely love it. The hardest part is getting those carrots shredded. And since that isn’t even hard, this cake is pretty much a breeze.
Homemade Carrot Cake
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 2 c. grated carrot
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 c. chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- ½ c. butter softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Slowly add flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture. Fold in carrot, pineapple, and pecans.
- Pour cake batter into prepared 9x13 pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Prepare frosting by beating cream cheese and butter together in a medium bowl with an electric hand mixer; add vanilla. Add powdered sugar a half cup at a time. Spread frosting over cooled cake and top with extra pecans, if desired.
Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:
I hope you love this recipe! I’m excited to grow some carrots this summer and make some serious carrot cake. Thanks, Grandma, for the inspiration for this recipe!
- Microwave Single-Serve Bread Pudding - June 8, 2020
- Orange Julius (Just Like the Mall!) - April 29, 2020
- 10+ Fun Summer Beverage Recipe Ideas (Kid-Friendly!) - April 24, 2020