I know a whole bunch of people who are going to be REALLY excited to see this recipe show up on my blog today. This might as well be a bowl of liquid gold right here! The Italian restaurant I worked at for 10 years serves an Italian chili that’s out of this world. It was my favorite soup at the restaurant, along with a whole lot of others’ favorites. Including my mom and sisters! I was so thrilled when I found a copycat version of this recipe and was able to make it at home. I made some modifications to make it taste the way I remember it. And it sure is tasty!
This isn’t your typical chili. It’s packed full of Italian sausage and other classic Italian flavors. Not to mention the Parmesan cheese loaded on top. You have to pile that stuff high for the ultimate chili bowl. Yummy!
Copycat Johnny Carino’s Italian Chili
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 c. tomato juice
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 can navy beans
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese grated (garnish)
- Place Italian sausage, chopped pepper, and chopped onions in a large saute pan. Brown the sausage till cooked; drain the fat.
- In a large pot, add tomato juice, tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic, navy beans, oregano, and basil. Add sausage mixture and stir together. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in 1-cup measurements. Add Parmesan cheese to garnish. Serve and enjoy!
For National Soup Day today, I’ve teamed up with some of my favorite foodies to share even more fabulous and comforting soup recipes with you! You’re going to want to stay inside all winter long so you can just sit and eat soup the entire time.
Thai Chicken Curry Coconut Soup // Eazy Peazy Mealz
Copycat Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli // Tried and Tasty
Creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder // Dessert Now Dinner Later
Copycat Johnny Carino’s Italian Chili // Cupcake Diaries
Smothered Chicken Burrito Soup // A Dash of Sanity
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup // Like Mother Like Daughter
Slow Cooker Homemade Minestrone Soup // Life Made Sweeter
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup // The Love Nerds
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup // One Sweet Appetite
New England Corn Chowder with Bacon // Sugar & Soul
Italian Sausage Pizza Soup // Lemon Tree Dwelling
- Microwave Single-Serve Bread Pudding - June 8, 2020
- Orange Julius (Just Like the Mall!) - April 29, 2020
- 10+ Fun Summer Beverage Recipe Ideas (Kid-Friendly!) - April 24, 2020