The goodness of a chocolate chip cookie all together in a fabulous cupcake. (With a cookie dough surprise inside!)
Cookie dough is such a weakness of mine. I find myself constantly taste testing the dough when I’m baking cookies, even though I totally know what it tastes like. Ok, I just love eating it. It’s so yummy! For National Chocolate Chip Day, I decided it would be fun to come up with a cupcake recipe that also highlighted the goodness of the chocolate chip cookie. These cupcakes are fabulous!
The frosting on these cupcakes is a chocolate chip cookie dough frosting. It is tasty! I love the look of the mini chocolate chips sprinkled on the top. Not to mention the delicious tiny cookie perched at the very top! This cupcake is GOOD.
And did I mention the cookie dough goodness on the inside of these cupcakes. Oh. My. Yum!! Don’t worry, it’s egg-free dough so it’s totally safe. Happy day!
I can’t wait for you to try these cupcakes then come back here and tell me what you think! These are one of my new favorites.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- 1 vanilla cake mix plus ingredients to make it
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 24 cupcake liners
For the Cookie Dough Frosting
- 1 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Cookie Dough Center
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 24 mini chocolate chip cookies
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding buttermilk instead of the water called for.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tins and fill with batter 2/3 full. Bake according to directions on the box; remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the cookie dough by creaming butter and sugar together; add vanilla, milk, and salt. Then add flour. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Using the large side of a frosting tip or something similar, make a hole in each cupcake by pressing it right into the center.
- Use a spoon to get enough cookie dough that it can be rolled into a little cylinder to fit into the hole in the cupcake. Press the dough right into the cupcake.
- Use a toothpick to push the cake out of the frosting tip. Tear the top off and press it right on top of the cookie dough to cover it.
- Prepare the frosting by creaming together butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and 2 Tbsp milk. Slowly add powdered sugar 1/2 c. at a time to avoid making a huge mess. Then add salt and flour.
- Pipe frosting on to each cupcake using a 1M star tip. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and top with a mini cookie.
Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! And because it’s National Chocolate Chip Day, here are more fabulous chocolate chip recipes to help you celebrate!
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake from Creations by Kara
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes from Cupcake Diaries
Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies from Butter with a Side of Bread
Gluten Free Cookie Dough Blizzard from Tried and Tasty
Light Berry Dark Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars from Happy Food Healthy Life
Chocolate Chip Bagels from Ashlee Marie
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream from Like Mother, Like Daughter
Vanishing Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from Real Mom Kitchen
Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins from Cupcake Diaries
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins from Cupcake Diaries
Chocolate Chip Pecan Caramels from Creations by Kara
Cornflake Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies from Butter with a Side of Bread
Coconut Macadamia Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies from Butter with a Side of Bread
Easy Chocolate Chip Scones from Ashlee Marie
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Ashlee Marie
Homemade Chocolate Chip Graham Crackers from Happy Food Healthy Life
Latest posts by Alli (see all)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - February 12, 2020
- Homemade Dipped Oreos for Valentine’s Day - February 7, 2020
- Rudolph and Friends Christmas Cupcakes - December 17, 2019