Strawberry shortcake is a perfectly light and refreshing dessert and a great way to use those summer strawberries. This recipe features those yummy flavors in a fabulous cupcake!
If you’re like some of my lucky neighbors, your strawberry plants in your garden have been bursting with lovely fruit. We have a strawberry plant, but we haven’t been as lucky this summer. My husband just asked me five minutes ago if the kids and I picked the red strawberry that was on the plant or if a bird ate it. Birds have been our enemy this summer! I should have covered the strawberries in the first place, but it didn’t happen. And now we’re providing the neighborhood birds with a treat. They better be grateful!
I was recently at the grocery store and noticed that the strawberries were extra pretty. I decided to make a strawberry dessert with them that quickly turned into a favorite. I love strawberry shortcake and these cupcakes are such a fabulous version of that summertime dessert.
These cupcakes are great for anyone who wants to make something gourmet and fun without all the nerves of baking from scratch. These lovelies start with a cake mix and I couldn’t be more proud to say that! Then each cupcake gets filled with a decadent strawberry filling and topped with whipped cream and a whole strawberry. They’re so good!
After baking the cupcakes, use a melon baller to dig a hole into each cupcake.
Fill the cupcakes with the strawberry mixture right before serving so they don’t get soggy. You can have the cupcakes all baked and the strawberry mixture prepared, then put the rest of the cupcake together when you need them.
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 24 white cupcake liners
- 2 c. strawberries finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- canned whipped cream
- 24 whole strawberries
- Prepare cupcakes by combining cake mix, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and eggs with an electric mixer. Once combined, scrape the bowl and mix on medium speed for two minutes. Place cupcake liners into pan(s) and divide batter evenly. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from pan(s) to cool.
- Prepare strawberry filling by combining orange juice and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add diced strawberries and sugar and cook over medium-high heat until boiling to dissolve the sugar.
- Use a melon baller to scoop the center out of each cupcake. Fill each cupcake with about 1 Tablespoon of the strawberry mixture. Cover with whipped cream and garnish with a fresh strawberry. Serve immediately.
Kitchen tools and gadgets needed for this recipe:
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Looking for more yummy cupcake recipes? Here are some of my favorites…
Latest posts by Alli (see all)
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting for Beginners Recipe - November 6, 2019
- Friends TV Show Cupcakes and Toppers - September 22, 2019
- Halloween Dipped Oreos - September 17, 2019