My mom and twin sister were in town this weekend and we decided to make a bunch of St. Patrick’s Day goodies! We’ve always wanted to try candied popcorn, so we whipped up a batch and made it green. I love how it turned out, in flavor and color!
This is a great recipe to use for all kinds of holidays. So many color options!
Green Candied Popcorn
Skip to My Lou
- 4 quarts popped popcorn (I don’t have a popcorn poppers so I bought light butter popcorn and popped it in the microwave. I used almost two full bags.)
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. light corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar – optional, but makes mixture more creamy. I didn’t use this. 🙂
- green food coloring (I used 4 drops)
In a saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter then add sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and salt. Increase temperature to medium high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. (It will be a big sugar blob at first, but just keep stirring till it dissolves and boils.)
Once mixture boils, add in food coloring and stop stirring. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla and baking soda. Working quickly and while sugar is foamy, pour mixture over popped corn and gently stir to coat it.
Place popcorn in a large roaster or rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Latest posts by Alli (see all)
- Rudolph and Friends Christmas Cupcakes - December 17, 2019
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting for Beginners Recipe - November 6, 2019
- Friends TV Show Cupcakes and Toppers - September 22, 2019