For one of our dinners last week I wanted to make something with pasta and veggies but totally different than anything I’ve ever made. Enter this bake. I loved the variety of veggies mixed with the chicken and tortellinis. It was a very balanced meal that we all really enjoyed. Even Brycen liked it! His favorite part was the tortellinis.
I recommend having all of your veggies chopped, sliced, and diced and in separate bowls before you start making this. It is MUCH easier when you can just start tossing everything in. This isn’t a complicated meal, just a bit of multitasking is necessary. It got really interesting when I was trying to take the pasta off, stir the chicken, talk on the phone, and keep my little guy happy all at the same time. But it’s a good meal that is well worth it when you’re done. Just make sure you’re all prepped and ready to go. You’ll be glad for it!
Tortellini and Garden Vegetable Bake
Better Homes and Gardens
makes about 10-12 servings
- 10 oz. dried cheese-filled tortellini (about 2 1/2 c.) OR two 9-ounce packages refrigerated tortellini (I used one package of the refrigerated tortellini and it was plenty. I also didn’t use all the vegetables it called for either so it worked out evenly. You’ll want to decide this depending on how many veggies you use.)
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 1/2 c. sugar snap peas (I just bought the bag in the frozen section.)
- 1 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2, depending on the size), cut into bite size chunks
- 1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms (I didn’t use these.)
- 1/3 c. chicken broth
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp. oregano (I don’t like a powerful oregano taste so I used 1 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. flour
- 3/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 c. milk
- 1 package cream cheese (8 oz), cubed and softened
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered or halved (Depending on the size you like. I halved 1 c. grape tomatoes.)
- 1 small red or green sweet pepper, coarsely chopped (I didn’t use this.)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (Or a little extra, if you’re like me!)
Place in an ungreased 9×13 baking dish and bake, covered, for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees, or until heated through. I found on my oven that 30 minutes was great. Stir the mixture then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over top.