Ingredients (makes about 45-50)
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz)
- 1 package chocolate bark (white, milk or both!)
- wax paper
- Bake cake as directed in a 9x13 pan. After the cake is cooled completely, crumble into a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with the can of frosting. And use your fingers! You'll get it mixed together the best if you use your fingers. It gets a little messy, but messy can be fun!
- Roll the mixture into balls about the size of quarters. Place them on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. (You can use a cookie scoop to form the balls, but you'll get a better look if you roll them by hand.)
- Chill for several hours in the fridge or place them in the freezer for about an hour. (As with the oreo truffles, it is good to do this so they will firm up and be easier to coat in chocolate.)
- Melt the chocolate in microwave or over a pot of hot water (depending on your preference).
- Roll the balls in the chocolate and place back on the wax paper on the cookie sheet. Allow the chocolate to cool and dry before serving.
- Only melt a few pieces of chocolate at a time. When it starts to cool it gets really thick and won't coat the balls well.
- Use a spoon to dip and roll each ball in the chocolate. Then tap off the extra chocolate.
- If the cake balls start to get too soft after coating some of them with chocolate you can put them back in the fridge or freezer to form up again.